Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Chung-Chung!
 
I'm going to sound like a jerk for saying this, but then again, that's why I have a blog.
 
I personally don't care whether or not you smoke. There's probably a cheaper way for you to trash your life expectancy, but that's neither here nor there. What gets me is the fact that people who don't smoke have to deal with the byproducts. All I'm saying is that if someone decided to shoot heroin across from me in a bar, I'm fairly certain it wouldn't hurt me too much.
 
All of that was a prelude to what I did this evening.
 
I contributed to a piece of Ticket History as one of the jurors for the New Trial of the Century This Week: Sweaty Jen Ohlsen Guy vs. The Ticket.
 
Some background: About a year ago, SJOG {don't ask, long story} pranked Norm Hitzges, venerable mid-morning host by pretending to be a baseball player stricken with brain cancer. The interview went fairly well for about ten minutes, and as Norm was saying goodbye, SJOG apparently lost his nerve and announced that he was gay as he hung up the phone. He was then banned from calling into the station and was considered persona non grata. Such a firestorm was raised that management finally relented and decided to put the matter to rest by holding a trial.
 
Judge Manny Alvarez, the same judge who presided over Michael Irvin's legal woes presided over the case, and two local attorneys represented both parties. This took place in The Barley House, a well known bar. Thanks to Judge Alvarez, the proceedings actually bore some resemblence to an actual case. Witnesses were called, objections were raised, and the closing arguments were full of exhortations for justice and doing the right thing.
 
In the end, the jury found the SJOG had paid his debt in full, and reinstated all his P1 privileges. Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if sometime in the coming months, he tries to prank someone else at the station.
 
Before I sign off, shout outs to Rowdy Hatin' Walt, Woody, Grubes, Mardi Gras Paul, Figs, Pizza Delivery Man, and the others.
 
Take Care,
 
Mike G.    
 

  
 

No comments: