Saturday, March 25, 2006

Out And About...

So I had some late-night Hungries [kudos to anyone who recognizes that reference] after a Derby meeting, but didn't want to take anything home.

Even in a Big City like Dallas, you're still pretty limited when it comes to late night dining in a restaurant. I've heard that Cafe Brazil is pretty good. Some Taco Cabanas are open all night, and there's the Trinity of IHOP, Denny's and Waffle House.

But I passed up all of these for the Steak n Shake on Alpha Road.

If you're not lucky enough to live in a SnS state, I'm very sorry. The food's pretty good and affordable [if you're smart]. But what I liked most was watching the people around me.

The couples grabbing a bite after a late movie, the school-kids laughing themselves silly while trying to be mature at the same time, families with small children fighting the urge to fall asleep.
Before I started blogging, I used to carry a small notepad around and write down my thoughts. Don't worry, they were just as banal as these posts. I do like the bells and whistles here, but there was something about just jotting stuff down in the moment. If I ever decipher my scrawlings, I might post some of them here.

Finally, this may or may not have happened:

I was polite, witty at the right times, and quiet at the others. She was smart, funny, and cute.

And married.

To be honest, that was the least of my problems. I liken it to the thief that gets deterred by the Neighborhood Watch sticker, instead of the fact that he's not a very good thief.

Oh, and the thief's never actually robbed a house before, either.

Courage,
Mike G.

No comments: