Monday, September 08, 2003

Fancy a Cup of Tea, Love?

Quick note, and it's off to bed [work tomorrow].

So, the other night I'm surfing along looking for something to kill time, and I decide to see what's on the other side of the pond i.e the BBC. Then I found something that so far has grabbed hold of me and shows no signs of letting go.

It's a radio soap opera called The Archers. It's been going on for over 50 years and right before I brush my teeth for bed I tune in to hear the latest episode.

I'm clueless about the characters, some of the accents are impossible, and I only have a vague idea about the storyline.

I think part of why I like it has to do with a bit of my childhood. I used to lie in bed at night with my headphones on and try to listen to every station on the AM dial. I'd get raving preachers, strange talk shows, and music from Who Knows Where. On rare occasions I'd get some old radio dramas. I loved the way the actors were forced to bring out their characters with just their voices. I listened to the sound effects and would wonder how they made them.

Anyways, if you want to check it out, point your browsers here.

Also, NPR has an interview with one of my personal heroes, 'Weird Al' Yankovic. You can listen to it here.

Take care, and send me feedback if you wish.

Mike G.

No comments: