Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Aimin' To Misbehave...

Folks,

This post was made possible by the good folks at Talking Points Memo. While most of their work involves politics and current affairs, today they played the Hollywood card.

They offered readers of their site and fellow bloggers to an advance screening of Serenity. I sent in my name, and lo and behold I got a press pass. So amidst a sea of fellow nerds and confessed follower Scott Kurtz, we settled in for the show.

I freely admit that I've only watched a few minutes of Firefly. That said, I really liked this movie. Joss Whedon has a particular talent for adding in a gag to punctuate moments of tension. I also like the idea that the future isn't all chrome and streamlined. There's still guns and bullets, and a very brute force sense of design.

There are some things that gave me a bit of pause, but they weren't big concerns. I guess the future is dominated by the Chinese, since there's enough kanji symbols to fill up a dozen strip clubs. Also, I guess the civil war hinted at in the movie is a big deal, but it gets a very quick once-over.

Oh, Jewel Staite is pretty cute.

Bottom line: If you're a fan of the show, you've probably already seen it, or stolen a work print online. Everyone else? It's a pleasant surprise that's worth the ticket price.

Finding it it very difficult to stop the signal,
Mike G.

No comments: