Sunday, June 05, 2005

Soul Baring...

So, sometime in the last few years, VH1 decided that MTV had the right idea and decided that showing videos wasn't that important.

Now, they're a bizzare mish-mash of reality shows and what I call MST3K-vision.

For the deprived few of you who don't know what MST3K is, click here. [Sweet Jebus, I hope noone has to click.]

Basically, VH1 has taken the economic benefits of the clip show and freshened it up with some biting sarcasm and witty comments:

Enter I Love The 70s/8os/90s, Best Week Ever, When ___ Ruled The Earth, and The 50 Best/Worst Whosits Ever.

I guess on the one hand, it's a good thing. I mean, I would have never thought that there was anything funny about the week's news if Christian Finnegan hadn't told me. Also, where would we be without the biting wit of Paul Scheer and the 'Hug Guy' from that Dave Matthews videos? I'll wait for you to Google them, because I sure as hell had to.

I do realize the irony of me commenting about those who do the same thing. My response is that I'm not passing this off as original entertainment, and I'm not charging anyone for it.

Back to my Original Point. Earlier today, I stumbled past one of the many airings of their countdown shows. This time it was The 50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs Ever. Of course, it was filled with people wondering how we ever liked any of those songs.

I've decided to post here all of the songs on that list that I currently own or have stored on my hard drive. Like it or not, the odds are very high that the music you enjoy today will be thought of as horrible in the future. Actually, the pop culture 'cycle' has gotten so effecient, that it might only take a few weeks.

Without further ado:

  • Two Princes - Spin Doctors
  • Sunglasses At Night - Corey Hart
  • We Didn't Start The Fire - Billy Joel
  • Cotton Eye Joe - Rednex
  • What's Up? - 4 Non Blondes
  • Informer - Snow
  • Broken Wings - Mr. Mister
  • I'd Do Anything For Love - Meat Loaf
  • Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
  • Sussudio - Phil Collins
  • Dancing On The Ceiling - Lionel Richie
  • I'll Be There For You - The Rembrandts
  • You're The Inspiration - Chicago
  • The Final Countdown - Europe
  • Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm - Crash Test Dummies
  • Barbie Girl - Aqua
  • Heart Of Rock and Roll - Huey Lewis and the News
  • Don't Worry, Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin
  • Breakfast At Tiffany's - Deep Blue Something
  • Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
  • Rollin' - Limp Bizkit [as The Undertaker's Entrance Theme]
  • Everybody Have Fun Tonight - Wang Chun
  • We Built This City - Starship

If you want to see the whole list, feel free. If you'll excuse me, I've got some Ace of Base and Extreme loaded up in my Rio Karma.

Courage,
Mike G.

No comments: