Thursday, July 01, 2004

Of Superheroes and Men...

In the past few days, I've seen two films that have affected me powerfully, but for two extremely different reasons. I urge all Churners to see both of these movies. Here's a few reasons why:

Spider-Man 2

This is mostly a no-brainer, and given the latest news, most of you have already seen it. It does the rare job of surpassing the original movie in almost every way. It also rewards comic geeks like me by dropping in tidbits like famed artist Alex Ross painting scenes from the first film during the opening credits. Cameos from Curt Connors and mentions of folks like Dr. Strange. There's also an appearance by Stan Lee, and an almost exact recreation of one of the most famous Spider-Man covers ever.

Fahrenheit 9/11

I know that on sheer principle alone, some of you won't see this movie. That's too bad, because Michael Moore has created something that you have to see to believe. Yes, the film does have an agenda. It wouldn't be a Moore film without one. What really impresses me is that despite all the attention given to this film, the facts check out. There have been some grumbles that Moore tries to connect too many dots, but the footage of Bush in that Florida classroom and the story of Lila Lipscomb, a military mom coping with the loss of her son, speak for themselves.

This movie makes you laugh, cringe, seethe and worry. Which is what movies are supposed to do.

Whaaa??

As I was writing this post, the death of actor Marlon Brando was confirmed. As when any actor dies, there's a rush to get other actors to comment on it. The station I was listening to decided to get Andy Richter's thoughts on Brando's passing.

Now I love Andy. I've missed him ever since he left Late Night, and I hate that he hasn't had a real hit on TV since.

But was every other celebrity busy at the time? What about the little pygmy/midget that starred with him on The Island of Dr. Moreau? I'm sure he would appreciate a phone call.

Oh Well.

Take Care,

Mike G.

No comments: