Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Hunker Down...

Gah.

Well, it looks like we've got four more years of 'compassionate conservatism'.

And at least one or two new Supreme Court Justices.

Either way, this nation looks to be as divided as ever.

Any other candidate would realize that the lack of a true mandate calls for a great deal of bipartisanship. The thing is, we've been here before.

After the 2000 election, and even after 9/11, Bush had the opportunity to unite the nation. On both occasions, the Bush White House chose to further a right-wing agenda under an increasingly expanding shadow of secrecy. And now, without the fear of an election, Bush can pretty much do what he wants.

But if you're rich, white, rich or white, congrats. You guys really dodged a bullet there.

So what did we learn? Well, apparently the much hyped youth vote was just that. I can only assume that the call of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was stronger than the call to vote.

And while the writing may be on the wall, Kerry is holding off on conceding. I don't blame him, and given what happened in 2000, he doesn't have much of a choice. I think that he knows it's over, though.

What really bothers me is the fact that so many people who were fired up by this campaign will become so discouraged.

I don't know...If I could I'd take a four year nap. I'll try and keep a stiff upper lip, but for now I'm going back to bed.

Take Care,

Mike G.

No comments: